Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bitches Brew

Calm Down Miles Davis fans, this one is not for you LOL!! It's no secret that I LOOOOOOVVVEEEE reading. So this year I decided that if I read a book by an 'international' author then the next one I read is going to be by an African one.

So far so good. I'm gonna start with one that I've read just recently: Bitches Brew by Fred Khumalo.


Not a great pic, but the other one was an extreme close up showing what looked like grey nose hair. So this one will do.

I admit that I started out with 3 Zakes Mda books, so I didn't have high expectations for the books to follow. Zakes Mda is my male Toni Morrison *swoon*... Oh, okay back to Bitches Brew. Marcee swapped it for 'Their eyes were watching God' with a friend. She read it straight after Zora Neal Hurston and Zakes Mda and was not impressed.

So ofcourse I approached the book with some scepticism. But I was hooked from page one. This book is such a lovely read. It;s a love story and you know how much I dislike soppy love stories. But this love story is immersed in SA history. I even recognised some of the characters and wished I had Fred's phone number. So I could call him up and say 'hey I know who that is supposed to be buti!"



Read Bitches Brew! LOVED IT!!!