Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lesson learnt # 1

I've learnt many lessons on this amazing journey that I'm embarking on. Many of them pretty simple in theory and others that just blew my mind.


This weeks lesson: EVERYONE IS AN EXPERT!!!

When I started out 3.5 years ago, I couldn't read or write music and just didn't know how I was even going to start doing this 'music thing' on my own. I chose the person who believed in me the most to do the 'manager thing' and we set out on this journey clueless, but hopeful.

The very first person we attracted was a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none-ASSHOLE!!! He played 15 million instruments and knew EVERYONE (SMH just thinking about this guy). Barf! He basically wanted to take over and for about a week I was so grateful that someone was helping I went along with it. And then I happened to voice my opinion and JOATMONA suddenly blew his top and told me that I didn't have talent! Ouch! As it turns out said ASSHOLE didn't have any contacts at all. JACK ASS!!

Now I will be the first to admit that nobody was as bad as JOATMONA, but I would say 3 out every 5 I meet are all EXPERTS on something.

I don't have a problem with people who are experts, but I DISLIKE chancers. I can tell the chancers from the real thing now. A great man doesn't need to go on about his achievements, but chancers will always tell you about who their friends with and how many great things they achieved in 19-VOETSEK!!

After getting so much advice from chancers I've decided that I'm going to do what makes ME happy and will ask for advice when I need it. I love getting feedback from people, but I just need to selective about whose advice I take :)