Sunday, August 19, 2007

The day I decided to fulfil my destiny

It was earlier this year and I 'found Estelle' (or maybe she found me- whatever, so not important). The reason I say that is because I had just heard John Legend had just 'started up' his own label (Home School records) and I thought 'Yes, finally... I know that is where I'm headed'... Idealistic Carol, I had no plan but I knew that was where I was going to end up.

On my search I 'found' Estelle: the first lady of 'Homeschool'. I had no idea who she was so I went looking for her music... Not sure why, but I did it anyway. That when I found her MySpace page, if you go there please listen to 'Hey Girl'. That was the first song I listened to and I started bawling. I'M SUCH A CRY BABY!!! I cried for a good hour.

At the time I had just started a new job and it wasn't what I wanted (making music), but I had to pay 'the bills' so I HAD to stay. My soul was so 'unsettled' but the bills were paid. I heard Ms Estelle and her voice spoke to me. The song has nothing to do with me or my situation but I was so touched. Weird? now that I think about it: NO!!

I was crying because somehow by looking at Estelle I knew that following your dreams was what we should all be doing. She showed me that it was possible. I played the song over and over again. If you look, you'll see that it has been played about 18088 times. That must be mostly me HA HA HA HA HA!! Anyway so I decided to dedicate this post to the women who have made a difference and truly INSPIRED... You all know who you are:

My mommy (a phenomenal woman)

My EVERYTHING!!! This goes for the rest of my friends, I just don't have pics of you guys on my PC (Steve, Phiwi, Zoe, AK, Vuyo, Tea, Mthi, Julz, Bobo, Nix, Tae... there are too many of you)

Estelle: The lady who inspired the post and the beginning of my journey (pic's from her MSpace page)

Miriam Makeba: Welela is one of my favourite songs and Mam' Miriam is the epitome of grace :)

India Arie: She brought Brown skin 'back' and I am eternally grateful and she stayed true to herself, obviously not the average girl from the video.


Lebo Mashile: She listened to her soul and 'televised' the revolution...

Billie Holiday: God bless the child is one of the greatest songs ever written. When I grow up I want my voice to have the raw emotion that Lady Day's voice had.


Letta Mbulu: The first time I heard 'there's music in the air' I fell in love with the song and have continued to be inspired by the South African singers of that time (you don't have to be naked to be beautiful ladies)



Maya Angelou: I am humbled every time I hear this woman speak. She is phenomenal :)

Okay... I have so many more women I want to put up here. So I will put up more of the women that have helped me get here. Some of them don't even know that they are doing it and others are doing it by loving me :)

THANK YOU LADIES.