Friday, December 21, 2007

Eat your food and shut up

Last night little brother (who is visiting for a week), wife and I went out for supper at a place down the road. Little brother had never had Sushi so we thought we take him for a bit of ROU VIS (raw fish).

Never mind that I had a fever and a killer migraine, nothing is too much for the men in my life. The whole evening is great. He is IN LOVE with Sushi (well done boi!!) and I discovered that drinking water all night is not such a bad thing.

A family of four (mom, dad and 2 sons) sit down next to us and the evening goes on. The food wasn't AMAZING, but the Sushi was great. We were sitting too close to the kitchen, but I'm really not a fussy customer. As long as I'm not sitting nest to the stove I'm happy ha ha ha ha. Anyway next thing I know, 'Mr Dad' next to us is being rude to the waiter. Not quietly, but full on making sure that people around can hear him. The waiter, who was obviously spinning, brought them something they didn't order. So 'Mr Dad' says 'WHY WOULD WE WANT SOMETHING WE DIDN'T ORDER'. Waiter boy cowers and goes back to the kitchen.

One of the managers goes up to 'Mr Asshole Dad' and asks if there is a problem (not in a confrontational way, just to try and sort out the mess). 'M.A.D' mutter something and then waiter girl says something with an uneasy smile and then 'M.A.D' shouts 'Then why do you ask me if I have a problem, when he is the one with the problem.'

As you can imagine some people get off on S%$& like this because maybe when they have reached a certain age that is the only kind of real satisfaction they are guaranteed to get. So he goes on and on and on, being SOOOO VERY asshole-ish. At this point I am about to stick my little boets steak knife in his jugular just to make him shut up because he is not the only person in the restaurant. But violence is NEVER the answer, so I carry on drinking my cold water.

Then something occurred to me. In all the time the 'M.A.D' was acting like a complete idiot, his wife just sat by looking pretty. She didn't even give him the side eye. You know. The oooweee-wait-till-we-get-to-the-car eye. I started thinking about what kind of message that foolish behaviour was sending to his sons. Would they one day grow up to become 'mini M.A.D's?

I guess one needs to think about things like this when you are with someone that you think you are gonna marry. You may think his tantrums are 'cute' or 'macho', but it's not so cute when children emulate that kind of behaviour. NO SIR!!! How many women actually think about things like that when they are considering being with someone for the rest of their lives? Interesting question isn't it?

I KNOW I want to have kids one day so when I meet the man who is going to be lucky enough to put up with all my FABULOUSNESS and 'minimal' asshole-ish-ness, I will make sure that he is the kind of man who will not only be a good example to his kids, but also one that responds well to the side eye. The last bit was a joke ha ha ha ha.