Sunday, December 23, 2007

The old and the new

I went and bought some music the other day and so far I've listened (I mean really listened) to 2 of the albums. This is what I thought of the music:
The old:


It is so great to see where 'our fave rapper' comes from musically. When I first listened to the album I chuckled a bit at how young dude sounded and how many F-bombs, n-bombs and MotherF$#*&%$ he drops.... Oh how far we've come Commy Com! At most times this album can be described as 'laid back'. I especially enjoyed 'Retrospect for life', which I had not heard in a long time. This song about abortion vs birth and taking responsibility for our actions. That song gets better every time I hear it.

G.O.D ft Cee-Lo is also another one of my favourites, Marcee LOVES it (she listens to it everyday). This album was released in 1997 and I'm inclined to say it was slightly before it's time. It even includes a little bit of 'comedy' on Stolen Moments (pt 1- 3). There are also some great collaborations with De La Soul, Ms Badu, Lauryn Hill, Canibus and Chantay Savage (on 'Reminding me of 'Sef' which I hadn't heard in ages too.

To say this album is deep would not be doing it justice because it is so beautifully done and above that: our man Com shows us what hip hop should really be about... Real people with real stories!


Pops. as always does his thing at the end of the album and his 'fatherhood rap' was especially touching. 'One day it'll all make sense' is the coming of age of Lonnie Lynn Jr and I thoroughly enjoyed taking the journey with him. Over and over again.

RATING: 4 OUT 5

The new:



Ms Keys is back!!! I have been a fan since the very beginning, so please excuse me if I gush a little. This album is very 'grown up' in the sense that Ms Keys did not feel like she needed to conform to the 'sugary' music that female singers seem to be stuck on. She delivers her own brand of music, she just brought it up a few notches.


With guest collaborators like John Mayer (you know he is also one of my faves), Linda Perry (she continues to inspire) and of course Kerry 'Krucial' Brothers there is no way this album could fail. Besides the collaborations though it sounds like A. Keys is very comfortable with her voice and she was not afraid to use it either.


There are many great tracks on this album, Rolling Stone seems to be infatuated with 'Teenage Love Affair', while I'm absolutely besotted with 'Superwoman' which has the potential to turn into a 'ladies anthem'. I am not disappointed at all with the way A Keys is. HALLELU-YER!!! She is BACK!!

RATING: 4.5 out of 5

All Bisexual Polygamist jokes aside though. I am very proud of my purchases. And you know I keep telling people 'Even when I'm a mess, I still put on a vest with an S on my chest... I'M A SUPERWOMAN!!!' I love it!!!!