Thursday, March 27, 2008

I've been DEMOTED- shock, horror!!!

There have been a lot of changes that took place in the last week. I've been meaning to give an update, but... Well, I don't know why I haven't yet. So here is what's going down.

A few days ago I decided to give up my day job. I had originally decided to take April off to finish my book and the album. So it wasn't like I just decided to do it. I knew my finances were in order and I also wasn't v happy with day job.

I got offered another show, but it was an ungodly time slot. At first I was going to refuse, because I need my beauty sleep LOL! But I took some time to think about it and it is actually the ideal time for me. And here is why:
  1. I was spending way too much time on the current show. It required quite a lot from me, because it was 'prime time' and I wanted the show to have a lot of features.
  2. I write better during the day, because it's quiet and day time TV is crappy (so I wont be tempted to watch infomercials for snail cream that smooths out stretch marks) and Marcee is at work as well.
  3. I can see C.B more times during the week and we can get more done.
  4. I wont be giving up radio, because I really do enjoy it.
  5. The new show does not have as many features and it will be yet another challenge for me to take on. I love taking on challenges... Don't judge me. Some people bungee jump, this is what I do.
  6. And lastly I will still have a source of income, so I wont put a strain on the savings account. I'm not even going to lie and say I don't need money. Money is good, it is helping me realise my dreams. I bought this wonderful laptop of mine with money, so now I can finish my book. I'm paying C.B to help me put this EP together with money. I'm not saying money is the end all and be all, because that is rubbish. But I'm also not going to minimise it's importance.

These are all good things for me and I'm very proud of the fact that I'm making my situation work. I'm doing what I love and I'm getting paid to do it. Yesterday I ran into a friend of mine, she asked me how things were going at work and I told her about the change. She was quite amused that I had been 'DEMOTED' (she said it very loudly many times) from prime time to graveyard. She was shocked and even more shocked that I wasn't TRAUMATISED.

You see, I have no reason to be traumatised. She was looking at my situation according to HER values and she really thought that my situation was sad. I just smiled, nodded and said in mock horror 'demoted'. At that moment I was once again reminded that people understand the world in their values and seldom every try to see the other persons perspective.

What is good for me, is not necessarily good for another person. Just like, some women choose to be in polygamous relationships. I could never do it, but that doesn't mean that I think that those women are SAD or have been 'DEMOTED' LOL! They made the CHOICE to live their lives in a certain way. The same way my friend made the CHOICE to see my situation from her perspective.

Needless to say my first thought was 'I have no business being friends with this girl'. But I realised that I need people like her in my life to remind that not everyone is like me and that sometimes people can turn your greatest victory into one big DEMOTION.

Lesson learnt (thank you very much Universe): Not everyone is going to respect/admire the choices that I have made. As long as I am happy with my choices, nothing else matters.