Monday, June 23, 2008

EP Diary - Lovelies

Met up with C.B today. he had done some work on Lovelies, but it just wasn't what I had in mind when I wrote the song. It was sounding a little... Slow. The song itself is not a fast one, but something about it wasn't quite working, so we worked on it together for a bit and then I left him to do his thing.

Creative challenges are not the best when you are working on a tight deadline. I am tempted to lose my cool, but that wont fix anything. I want to put out the best possible product and if that means delaying the release slightly then I guess that's what I have to do.

After my meeting with C.B I realised that I want to create my own music. at the moment what I'm doing doing everything on my piano, adding lyrics and then meeting up with C.B to flesh it out a bit. What I want to do now is to create a rough idea of what I want the song to sound like. With drums etc added to the piano track. I know what I want but I don't always know how to articulate it. So next on my list (after guitar lesson in 2009) is finding software that is penguin-fingers friendly LOL!

I am content with the way things are and I'm also grateful that I am in charge of my music career. It is a little weird to be both artist and record label though. Yesterday I was choosing pics to use for the sleeve and I had to be critical but not in a 'me' way. How do you put yourself aside long enough to make an impartial decision? It took about 3 hours, but I'm happy with what we have. I have to think about all aspects of this project but still allow myself to be creative, which is something some artists struggle with.

I'm so into this ME RECORDS thing, I even bought a book on the South African Music Business by Jonathan Shaw. It's kind of refreshing all those ideas I read in Donald Passman's book, except this one has more of a South African focus, as the title suggests. I will let you know how tomorrows recording goes :)
Thought I'd let you in on some of the good stuff. below is one of the photos that didn't make it (not because we hated it, but because we couldn't use all of them for the sleeve- how sad)
Marcee says I look a little like my brothers in this one, maybe that's why she voted so strongly against it LOL!!!! It's okay to look like your family right?! LMAO