Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My record deal

I've been thinking about this whole music thing and releasing my own EP. I realised that I have been going about it the wrong. I have been feeling like I'm at some sort of a disadvantage with no support of a real record label. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the fact that I am in charge and I don't have anyone telling me what to do, how to look and what 'sound' works.

So that got me thinking: if I'm making all the decisions and paying for everything, doesn't that make me MY RECORD LABEL? So I'm going to sign a 3 album deal with myself and invest a lot of time and money into building the Black Porcelain brand. I'm even going to draw up a contract between me (the artists) and me (the record label).

It is a great idea to draw up the contract, but I think it's also a way for me to take 100% responsibility for everything that happens with the EP and the rest of my music career. Bridget did a blog on giving your all, committing 100% of yourself. A while ago I read Jack Canfield's book 'How to get from where you are to where you want to be (the 25 principles of success)' And the first principle is taking 100% responsibility for your life.

Jack Canfield talks about how we all feel like we are entitled to a good life, like someone is go to save us, provide us with a better life, make us happy, give us a record deal etc. And we can wait for the person, lottery ticket, perfect woman, perfect man, perfect job for as long as we want but it is not gonna come until we do something about it. That is what I truly believe and just as it has helped Bridget with her insulin it has helped me with my music as well.

So I'm working on the contract and I'll let you know when I've signed the contract with 'ME RECORDS'.

"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you."
Wayne Dyer
"If you don't like something change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou