Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Writing to Electric Circus

Today I decided to change my scenery and work from the office. I spend everyday in my little flat, working in the comfort of my home. But today I had to organise interviews for the radio show, a production meeting (which was then cancelled) and I had an interview in the morning.

Working from the office is nice, if you’ve been away from it for a while. There is no TV tempting you to watch Tyra, Dr Phil, Dr Hatchett or whatever is on at that time that will serve as a distraction. The office that I work from is quite boring and the only distraction there is… Uhm… Nothing!

After doing all my radio work, I started working on the first draft of the novel. There were a lot of people walking past my office, so I put my earphones and on and listened to my iPod. At first I couldn’t find the right music and I was getting irritated. That’s when I landed on Common’s ‘Electric Circus’. I was a little skeptical about how good it would be for ‘writing time’, it’s always great for when I need to take a walk and clear my mind.

Before I knew it, I was writing away happily with the most amazing sounds playing softly in the background: inviting, but not intrusive music. When I needed a break from the world that I was creating on the page in front of me, I would just turn up the volume and walk around my desk for a bit letting the story solve itself in my mind while I enjoyed ‘Hustle’, ‘Between me, you and liberation’ or ‘I got a right ta’.

I’m so glad that I decided to do something different today. I was getting a little claustrophobic at home and my creative juices seemed to be drying up. Usually I would have just gotten frustrated, but today I tried something different. I’m grateful that I did because something wonderful happened with my writing and I frediscovered my love for ‘Electric Circus’. I’m not entirely sure why some people were 'hating' on it! Maybe it was before it’s time.