Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Beef or Chickpeas?

Hmm... So the wife (Marcee) and I have decided to try out 'vegetarianism' (is that a real word?). We both grew up in homes where eating meat was a way life. I mean my dad is traumatised if we make a meal with no meat in it. When I say no meat I mean no 'visible' meat (preferably red). I once mad Chicken stir-fry with Cashew nuts and he looked like he was going to die. Too many vegetables, the meat was in 'strips' and I had the audacity to put 'peanuts' in his food. LMAO. The look on his face was priceless. He tried very hard to enjoy it... That was the last time we had Stir-fry at home :)

So Ms Pretty and I are gonna try the whole Vegetarian thing out. We both have been toying with the idea for a while, so we thought 'why not try it out?'. In preparation for out 'big experiment' I downloaded the 'Vegetarian Starter kit' and oh my goodness... I had NO IDEA what animals go through, just so we can eat them. That being said I'm not sure Marcee and I are going to go 'cold turkey'. Too scary. I mean I've eaten meat all my life. That is part of my identity. I know it sounds like rubbish, but I've been a meat eater for the longest time.

So this is how it's going to work:
We are going to cut the meat out of our diet slowly.
We will have one week with no meat and one week with some meat.
The dairy products will stay for a LONG time.

This will be very hard... I mean, what are we going to cook? Eeek!! We are going to collect vegetarian recipes and try new things out :) The 'experiment' starts next week on Monday. Depending on the outcome we could either remain meat eaters, be lacto-vegetarians (I like that option better) or be Vegans. I'm sweating thinking about all this.

Wish us luck. I'm so lucky that I'm doing this with my best friend.