Sunday, May 20, 2007

Broke and making music?

I apologise for lack of posts: Friday was a write off: because I was SOOO tired. Internet was giving me problems on Saturday and so here I am today! On to the post...

I was talking to my piano teacher about how awful I felt about my music coming second to everything (everything being the day job). She said that perhaps I should give up my job and be prepared to be broke in order to be happy making music... Well those weren't her exact words but she said something along those lines.

Now, please don't get me wrong. I am willing to work hard at what I do. And I'm willing to work at it for as long as it takes. BUT I am not sure that I am willing to give up the day job that is currently paying for my car and rent. There is this weird belief that if you are willing to 'starve' for your music then you are truly committed... Uhm... NO!! That is not how I choose to fulfill my destiny. I do not come from a wealthy family and I've worked my butt of to be where I am now; I'm not rich but I can certainly afford a FEW things that make my life comfortable.

It is because of my day job that I was able to buy my keyboard, pay for my piano lessons and pay for the 'studio' that I did my demo in. It was this demo that helped me figure out 'my sound'. Yes, I don't get to sit around making music all day. I KNOW that one day I will be able to do that, but right now the day job is 'helping' me along the way. So, what sacrifices am I willing to make for my music? Well the day job keeps me busy for most of my after noons (and sometimes weekends), but every other moment is spent working on my music. I give up sleep and good looks (from lack of beauty sleep) so that I am able to become a better musician.

So do I have to be broke to be making music my people? I don't think so!
Will I become a full time muso? Hell Yeah!! It might not happen over night, but it WILL happen!

P.S I've had a few people complain about me saying Steve is bringing sexy back, so I watched 7de Laan repeats today... I STILL think Steve is bringing sexy back to the 'Laan'...