Friday, May 4, 2007

Plight of the homeless

There are a couple of homeless guys outside where I work. When I first started working there one of them asked to wash my car and I kindly declined. Not because my car was clean, it was in actual fact VERY dirty. I just couldn't afford to pay him because I hadn't been paid that month... Don't ask, it's a long story.

This guy and I had a good rapport, so gave him money whenever I had any spare change or if I had any food to spare. He just has such a nice face and he is funny as well. What I didn't know was that all the other homeless people had noticed that I gave money and food. It wasn't long before I had people waiting for me at my car asking for food or money. Because I hadn't been paid in two months I REALLY REALLY didn't have money to spare. I was depending on my father who was giving me the very little money that he could spare. When I finally did get paid I gave money whenever I could. But there seemed to be more and more people with more and more stories and I just didn't have enough money for all of them...

Do you think it's wrong for me to giving homeless people money and if so is there a homeless shelter that can donate money to and once the money has been donated does it get used properly... I know, I know it's such a morbid topic. But it's already cold and I get cold at night. What about the homeless?

Surely there is something that we can do. The reason I say we can do something is because we are in a position to do something and they aren't. When you are on the streets hungry and cold you become desperate. And there a lot of SICK people out there who will take advantage of that desperation: I think you all know what I'm talking about. I know that we can't save everyone, but let's at least try.

Okay I'm done.