Monday, May 21, 2007

The hip hop issue Part 2

So there I was... happily surfing the net and I came across a few clips (I have put them on here for your perusal.)

I didn't think I would have to do another post so soon after the last one. To many this may seem like a futile fight, but to me it is worthwhile. So let's do it like this: The two men who caught my attention today will go first and give their opinion and then I will go last and YOU be the judge. I don't want to hear that I'm 'right' or 'wrong'... I REALLY want to hear what people think.

50 cents giving his opinion:


T.I giving his opinion




Ms Porcelain gives her opinion:

I am really starting to think that these 'starts' have NO idea how much influence they have. Really. I'm not being sarcastic. It must be hard for any one person to imagine that they INFLUENCE the way people around the WORLD THINK. Curtis and T.I said they had really 'hard' lives. Growing up they didn't think much of themselves or the areas where they grew up, so they got into the wrong kinda life.


Then they use their 'talent' and gain popularity, so they ride the wave. Not knowing that this is a moer se wave. A worldwide wave! Unless we all show them that they are glorifying this 'tough' life then they will continue to give us these passionate displays of pleading innocent. I'm SOOOO tired of it. SOOO tired!!


I used to LOVE Hip Hop. Growing up I used to listen to 'Gin n Juice' man. I loved Craig Macks 'Flava in ya ear'... Those cats had 'tough' lives too. They reflected on the 'hard' times, but they also made music that made you feel good. Music you could laugh at. Music that was about more than 'gats', 'ice', 'rims', 'h*%s' and n*&^$r this and n*&%$r that! Def Squad's remake of 'rappers delight' is what hip hop was for me. I could laugh and dance without feeling like I was being humiliated... All I'm saying is reflect your lives but don't let that be all that you reflect. Nobody is one dimensional, so show us the other side of hip hop. The side that I first fell for. The side of hip hop that has turned it's back on me... I'm not picking on any one artist here. I'm speaking to everyone that is involved with this one dimensional bastardised version of 'current' hip hop.

Just so you know. I'm not saying 'don't swear'! I'm not saying don't write a song about women who sleep around. I'm not even saying don't talk about a shoot out that you've been in/or seen. What I am saying is, don't make young people think that that is all hip hop is about. And 50 is right there is WAAAYYY too much violence on TV, but right now we are talking about hip hop, so focus!

As for T.I... *sigh* What is he talking about? What the hell does he mean he has no idea what children will 'take away' from his lyrics? If your lyrics contain explicit sex and violence... Uhmm that is exactly what kids are going to 'take' from it. That if a grown man (that they happen to idolise) can say that, why would it be wtrong for them to think like that? I do, however, agree with him saying that parents should be more involved in their childrens lives. I agree with 100%. Let's all take responsibility for the part that we have, are or will play in this mess.

Nuff said...